Custom Search

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Long and Winding Road...

Just recently, as I watched the recent Top 24 of the American Idol Season 10 where Haley Reinhart, Naima Adedapo, and Jacob Lusk did their unique performance of the Beatles', “The Long and Winding Road”, I was taken back in time...bringing back memories of my journey.

Beatles' lyrics for the journey's reflection towards Lent?  Why not?  Growing up, music, as in my faithful radio, always had a deep influence on me...listening to the serene, inspirational music, pondering on the tune and reflecting on each word of the lyrics often leads me into a quiet reflective mood...alone with God...day dreaming with Him...just wasting time with Him...my whole being sing praises Him.



Anyway, this song by the Beatles has always been one of my favorite tunes…the meaningful lyrics transporting me to contemplate more of my own journey through life, its challenges, hopelessness, all my imperfections and my dependence on God, the times when I feel that He is not always there to accompany me…completely...surrendering to Him all my bitterness and pain...and tiredness...

Our human journey towards the start of Lent can similarly be like that, lack of self-discipline, indifference…where you just want to give up when the road gets seemingly long and winding, and doors seem to shut on your face.  What is the use of even persevering on this path?

“Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday.” - Fulton J. Sheen

Paul McCartney always found inspiration in the calm beauty of Scotland and the ‘road’ of the song title was inspired by the “B842” (a national road which winds over 50 km over the West Coast of Scotland, through Kintyre to his High Park Farm in Campbeltown).  He goes on to share:


It's rather a sad song. I like writing sad songs, it's a good bag to get into because you can actually acknowledge some deeper feelings of your own and put them in it.  It's a good vehicle, it saves having to go to a psychiatrist.


I was a bit flipped out and tripped out at that time.  It's a sad song because it's all about the unattainable; the door you never quite reach.  This is the road that you never get to the end of” (reflecting the sorrow at the prospect of his band, The Beatles, breaking up).


Music, for me is, and will always be, an inspirational avenue towards a deeper prayer life.  Here goes the simple but meaningful lyrics of the song recorded way back in January, 1969, a time when I was barely six, where the journey has barely begun…




The long and winding road
that leads to your door
will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to you door

The wild and windy night
that the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears
crying for the day
Why leave me standing here?
Let me know the way

Many times I've been alone
and many times I've cried
Any way you'll never know
the many ways I've tried

But still they lead me back
to the long winding road
You left me standing here
a long, long time ago

Don't leave me waiting here
lead me to your door

But still they lead me back
to the long winding road
You left me standing here
a long, long time ago

Don't keep me waiting here
lead me to your door

The seemingly long and winding road of our journey through life will never disappear and will naturally lead us back to the door of Heaven...back home to God.   We travel this long and winding road just as Jesus Christ did...through Him, with Him and in Him.

Listen to the original Beatles tune here...and I pray that you too, will always remember your journey...and grow in strength and wisdom each day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUO7N-zSMYc

God bless all and may your journey towards Lent sing and cry out praises to His Name always.



No comments:

Post a Comment