Custom Search

Monday, January 10, 2011

We Seek...We Search...We Give Praises...

New Seeds of Contemplation
In his much acclaimed book, New Seeds of Contemplation, the Trappist monk, Thomas Merton, OCSO (Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance) writes that when we find our true self, we will find God, and when we find God, we will find our true self.  What a paradox!
 
May I Have This Dance?
Joyce Rupp clarifies in her writing, May I Have This Dance, that, "(m)ost of the time we search without really being aware of what is gnawing at us deep inside.  We search for something called happiness.  We long for a gift named peace.  We search for meaning in our lives, for love, for understanding of ourselves and others, for an acceptance of the ups and downs of the human condition.  Beneath all this longing is the desire for someone or something that feels like home.  ...We may not be consciously aware of our seeking.  We may be living our lives day by day.  The wonder is that while this searching goes on within us, there is also One who keeps seeking us out, calling to us, gently desiring that we find the home within.  ...It is the way of the human spirit.  It is the way life happens."
 
Our lives must continually give praises to God, our Creator...and as we continue this search, we sing praises to His Name...
   
 
Seeking and Finding
 
I search for God,
elusive, hidden God,
I long to dwell
in the heart of Mystery.
 
 
  I search for my true self
more of who I already am,
knowing there's so much
yet to be discovered.
 
 
I search for love,
the unconditional love
that enfolds me
and asks to be shared.
 
I search for vision
in the shadows of my soul,
impatiently awaiting
the moment of lighting.
 
I search for a quiet heart
amid life's harried schedule;
my soul cries out,
yearning for solitude.
 
I search for compassion
in a world gone deaf
to the cries of the hurting,
and the pleas of the powerless.
 
 
I search for Home,
always for Home,
unaware, of course,
that I am already there.
 
Joyce Rupp, OSM - Order of Friar Servants of Mary


"...God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord..."  (Philippians 2:9-11, NAB)

No comments:

Post a Comment