Custom Search

Thursday, January 13, 2011

We are...Christ's Letter to the World...


"Living here below, my Father, wearies me.  Living this life of exile is such a bitter torment to me that I am almost unable to take any more.  The thought that in any instant I could lose Jesus, causes me an anxiety that I cannot explain; only the soul that loves Jesus sincerely could understand it." - St Padre Pio

For 50 years, Padre Pio, an ordinary friar, carried the five wounds of the crucifixion; he was a stigmatist.  During his journey on earth, he was a victim with Christ.  Padre Pio had deep piety; his mind and heart was always centred on Jesus...on Heaven...the heavenly home.

Padre Pio's desire can be explained by Fr Raniero Cantalamessa as follows.  "Padre Pio did not know whether he would be able to persevere in love or avoid displeasing God by growing cold towards Him and becoming unfaithful - this led him to desire the end of his exile, where he would no longer have the opportunity to sin..."

Such is the preciousness of God to the simple Padre Pio.  Reflecting on our own journey, how precious is God, the Creator, in our life? in our actions today?  What exactly is His plan for us?  What is He writing to the world through you?


"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope.  When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you.  When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the LORD..." (Jeremiah 29: 11-14, NAB)

As we, pilgrims, journey on, this new year, we must remember and continuously ponder, in our heart, the words echoed by Mother Teresa,...

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world....I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."

What kind of a letter have we been entrusted with, to others?  How have others then, experienced Christ through us?

No comments:

Post a Comment