Custom Search

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Eucharist is Jesus Christ



“The chalice of benediction, which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ?  And the bread, which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord?  For we, being many, are one bread, one body, all that partake of one bread.” (1 Corinthians 10:16-17, Douay Rheims)



“The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?  Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him.  As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.  This is the bread that came down from heaven.  Not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead. He that eateth this bread, shall live forever.” (John 6:53-59, Douay Rheims)



Somehow, I have this restlessness within me today to share this reminder yet again, that the Holy Eucharist is indeed the source and summit of the Catholic Christian life.


Bishop Fulton Sheen wrote that, “The mark of a Catholic is the willingness to look for the divine in the flesh of a babe in a crib, and the continuing Christ under the appearance of bread and wine on an altar.”


Saint Pius X said, “Remember, this side of heaven, there is no way to be closer to Jesus than by worthily receiving him in Holy Communion.”


Therefore pilgrims, simply and quietly reflect...Jesus Christ is really present in the Holy Eucharist of the Catholic Church; nothing less...



No comments:

Post a Comment